Wednesday, March 14, 2007

space, grier, and living

About a week ago my friend decided to free himself. This was what he had to say:


this is goodbye - March 8, 2007 6:06 PM

I, MR. Mottram, am leaving myspace. I have found that nothing good comes out of myspace. Myspace users will soon find better things to do than to spend hours at a time on the computer - which simply is wasting time. And when that time comes, myspace will be left with nothing; quite the thing it deserves since it gave us, the people, nothing. We have to learn what to do with our time, and with that, step up to the plate. Think on it. Respect your time with caution. You will soon see. Goodbye lingerers.


Earlier that same day the school superintendent Mr. Moloch ("What sphinx of cement and aluminum bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination?") visited our facility, stirred up a bit of a ruckus, and I must admit had me feeling pretty politically charged. So I was prompted to respond to my brotherman’s bulletin and here is the content of that post sans a few "well done sir"s:


RE: this is goodbye - March 8, 2007 8:15 PM

and perhaps hello?

adam smith would not approve of your valiant nonconformist dismissal of the system, laissez-faire in reverse you could say, hands-off the evils of this machinery, a wretched machinery whose cogs and wheels are oiled unceasingly by the wasted minutes of the youth, a machinery that manufactures social plague and disease. you my friend, have at least turned your ear away from the monotonous, dangerously mesmerizing hum of this machine, even perhaps loosened a screw, and at best thrown a wrench in the system. i am hopeful as you greet this world now, with open ears, free from the constant ringing, blinding buzz. and that your example may be a thought for the rest of us, for thought unusually usually precedes action, and that we may soon wield our own monkey-wrenches. right or wrong.


This response was half serious-concern, half satirical-rant, but I thought there might be some interesting thoughts and truths among all the machinery-capitalism-half-bologna. And I also believe that wasted time on the computer, particularly myspace, is part, maybe just a small part, but a part nonetheless of what keeps me from getting out there and living [because thats all i (really) want to do]. But, thats a more real discussion for a more real time (later!).

2 comments:

jm! said...

Smashing the 360- I’m picturing it all going down “office space” style, hip-hop bumping, in an open field or parking lot with a baseball bat or other blunt object, pulse pumping. Smashing stuff is great!

And I have to agree that the importance of The Nets in our world today as a vehicle for communication and an output for our individual voices is crucial, but I also must assert that on a personal basis, if I'm not wise with my time, The Web can be a counterproductive detriment to my day. So like anything, it's all about how you use it. And perhaps it can teach me a thing or two about kicking out the laziness and learning to discipline myself with the way I use my time.

Thanks for the comments!

(oh and that twitter/twittervision business seems really rad, i'm going to have to get on that!)

sean coon said...

you're right, jon, the web is like anything else that can become obsessive. moderation is key (and a goal - i've still yet to master it).

and your description of the xbox beating was spot on.